Macau IRs close facilities as confirmed Coronavirus cases reach seven

Inside Asian Gaming is a partner of CDC Gaming Asia and this content appears under that editorial sharing agreement.

Macau authorities and integrated resort operators rolled out lengthy lists of closures on Monday amid ever-growing measures to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus from mainland China.

As Macau’s Health Bureau confirmed a seventh case of the infection after a 67-year-old woman from Wuhan became feverish on Sunday, the government issued a list of events and performances that had been officially cancelled including the traditional dragon and lion dance parade at Macau Fisherman’s Wharf, Chinese New Year ceremonies held by Sands China, Tonny Jan’s “Mind Hacker” at The Parisian, Cantopop band The Wynners at The Venetian, Melco’s resident show The House of Dancing Water, Leon Metro Live 2.0 Concert at City of Dreams, and the “Move! into the wildlife” exhibition at Galaxy Macau.

It also declared a range of popular venues closed including UA Galaxy Cinemas, Macau Tower Cinema, Cinemateca Paixão, Cineteatro Macau Cinema and Cinema Alegria.

On Monday night, Melco Resorts & Entertainment announced that it has now postponed all non-essential business travel until further notice, adding it has been in close contact with the local authorities and is following government guidelines on specific preventive measures to be adopted.

Aside from putting The House of Dancing Water and Leon Metro Live 2.0 Concert on hold, Melco said Kids’ City at City of Dreams and Warner Bros. Fun Zone at Studio City are also temporarily closed.

“The health and safety of our guests and colleagues is always our top priority,” said Chairman and CEO Lawrence Ho. “Melco has stringent operational protocols in place to safeguard the wellbeing of all visitors to our properties and our colleagues. In the current difficult times, we will continue to collaborate closely with the Macau government and adapt rigorous preventive measures across the properties.”